Wednesday, 12 June 2013

Berkshire Renegades - London Olympians Game Report

by Oliver Raffle

The Berkshire Renegades travelled to New Beckenham to face the London Olympians. With the Berkshire side on a three game losing streak, they were looking to try and turn momentum in their favour against the London side.

True to form, the Renegades opted to put their defense on to start the game against the Olympians. With the team’s defense on the field, they faced a stern test in the Olympians who had put 42 points on the East Kent Mavericks in the previous week. The first quarter was a nervous affair with both offenses probing the defense and penalties eliminating an early Olympians score.

With both teams juggling field position, the Olympians were the first to score, however, the extra point attempt was blocked by the Renegades defense. After the kick-off and an excellent return by Liam White, the Renegades offense started midfield and started moving towards the end-zone before Paul Waddington connected with Matt Coppinger on a 24 yard touchdown pass. The extra point was successful and the visiting team held a slim lead 7-6.
Responding in kind, the London Olympians offense gathered itself and started to move down field towards the end of the half. After a quick score, the Olympians opted to go for a two point conversion, were successful and led 14-7. The Renegades offense responded quickly, moving down the field, however with time expiring in the half, both teams retreated to the sidelines to adjust.

Starting in the third quarter, the Olympians had a long touchdown run to add to their scoreline, however, once again, penalties called this back and the Renegades defense held firm for the rest of the quarter, with the offense moving the ball and playing a game of field position.

Turnovers from a frenetic Olympian’s defense resulted in Paul Waddington being picked off twice giving the home side a decided advantage. Following a long interception return the Olympians were knocking on the door and soon scored. Once again, the extra point was unsuccessful and the score was 20-7 deep in the 4th quarter.

With the Renegades offense pinned deep in their half, they opted to go to the air and another defensive play led to good field position for the Olympians who were able to put paid to the game with another score. At the full time whistle: London Olympians 27 – 7 Berkshire Renegades.

After the game, Head Coach Paul Gordon said, “Another disappointing defeat, we kept the game close to until the 4th quarter and the game slipped away from us.

The past results don’t reflect how hard we have battled on the field and the opportunities we have created but not taken.

These are harsh lessons that we are learning and we are determined to continue working towards our common goal to compete at Premiership level.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts